So, you want to live off grid? We get it. People have all kinds of reasons for wanting to live the off grid life. Here are 25 of our favorite reasons.
25 Inspiring Reasons to Live Off Grid
- Self Sufficiency – Living off grid is all about living a self sufficient lifestyle, one not dependent on outside resources. Off grid living means you create your own resources, thereby reducing or totally eliminating your dependence on a system that could collapse at any moment.
- Sustainable Living – It’s about living more sustainably. Without constantly consuming resources, you will actually be producing more than you consume. This has the added benefit of not only providing for your family, but contributing to your local community.
- Renewable Energy – The use of renewable energy only makes sense. Using an energy source that is not renewable is absurd. Fossil fuels are not renewable, at least at the rate we are consuming them. So it makes sense to use sources of energy that are completely renewable, and that can be shared. Renewable energy is also more sustainable long term, and that’s just smart living.
- Environmentally Responsible – When one realizes their own responsibility is just as valuable as the next person’s and that no one person’s responsibility is less than another’s to make this world a better place, then we come to a crossroads. We must, as responsible human beings, and for the future of our children and their children, be more environmentally responsible, or there may not be an environment left for them.
- Practical Living – Practically speaking, living off the grid is more practical because we reuse, recycle, and stretch the use of our resources to their maximum practical purpose.
- Smaller Footprint – Living off grid means you don’t use as many resources as most people, and it cuts down on waste.
- Less Impact on the Planet – When you’re off grid, you live your life more in tune with nature, and as such have less of a negative impact on the planet.
- Healthier Lifestyle – It’s just plain healthier because you’re more active and, ideally, eating homegrown food. The benefits of physical activity and exercise on your life overall are innumerable.
- Rewarding – Living off the grid is more rewarding for all the reasons listed on this page. When you factor in all the benefits of the off grid lifestyle, you realize there’s really no other way to live that’s more rewarding.
- Happiness – It makes you happy. Less stress and more activity creates a feeling of contentment, and this creates happiness.
- Getting Back to Our Roots – Living off the grid is getting back to our roots and where we come from. Our ancestors lived this way for tens of thousands of years. The story is the same all over the world, looking back throughout human history there’s one commonality that is universal throughout history save the fact we’re all human beings, and that’s that we all lived off the land as hunter-gatherers. We built things and made stuff, created shelter, grew food, and tapped natural water sources to provide for our families and the village. Our tribe is humanity, and we’ve all done things the same way. Now, in modern times, with the advent of modern technology, things are done much more easily, and we’re in a time of unprecedented advancement. Living off grid with high technology. Solar panels, wind turbines, hydro electricity, geothermal, and renewable biofuels power our world, while at the same time, we can connect back to our roots and enjoy nature.
- Preserves Knowledge – When we live sustainably it preserves the knowledge through the ages for generations to come. If we all lived in a consumers world we’d lose this precious knowledge and it would be lost forever. What would we do if we didn’t preserve that knowledge by sharing it with our kids, and the world. The advent of the internet and high technology allows us to share with the entire world with the click of a mouse the knowledge of our ancestors. Forever preserving the knowledge for humanity.
- Teaches Future Generations – Teaching others brings its own rewards, both for the student and the teacher. The beauty of it is that being off grid, allows us to teach a new (old) way of living that everyone should know. The reward of the good feeling of teaching is just a bonus.
- Shares Experience – Sharing the experience we have with others is part of life. It’s deeply fulfilling to share your experience with others, adds to your sense of purpose, and helps them at the same time. They will in turn share that experience with others and so one. It’s self perpetuating, and furthers the advancement of knowledge.
- Advances Humanity – The knowledge of course advances humanity. Everyone’s knowledge base build atop the last. Like building blocks of sustainable living, it creates a foundation to build a better life, and that we can all benefit from.
- Uses Less Resources – Living off grid consumes fewer resources. Simple as that. When we live off the grid we actually create more resources than we use, and this benefits the local community.
- Avoids Consumerism & Waste – Consumption of resources is running rampant, and needless waste is at an all time high. To reduce waste and consumerism it’s much better to create and produce resources. When you live a sustainable and renewable lifestyle you become a boon to society and create more than you use. This helps keep consumption to a minimum and sets a great example for others.
- Leads by Example – Because you’re doing it, you’re living the lifestyle, you’re leading by example. When you walk the talk, and live this lifestyle, it shows others there is another way to do things. That it doesn’t have to be all about consuming, that you can give back, and still live a fulfilling and rich life.
- Better For our Kids – It also goes without saying that it’s better for our kids to see us live this way because it will help propagate awareness for the responsibility we have to live smarter lives.
- Healthier Food – When you live off grid, you tend to eat healthier food. Your food is healthier because you grow it without pesticides and without harmful chemicals.
- Fresh Air – The air is fresher in the country. Not much more needs to be said about that.
- Digging in the Dirt! – Lets face it, we all love digging in the dirt.
- We Get to Build Stuff – Living off grid allows you to build stuff and make things. Things you wouldn’t normally be able to make, and projects you wouldn’t normally be able to work on in the city. Like the next spaceship to Mars for example, or a time machine. Or maybe you could build a new kind of greenhouse that grows 100 pounds of food fruits and veggies per square foot. Now there’s an idea.
- Independence – When you live the off grid life, you instantly become less dependent on the system, and more independent and self reliant. No longer bound by a system which does not have your best interests in mind.
- Connect with Nature – This is one of the most fulfilling parts of the lifestyle of off grid living. The connection with nature you have is much deeper and on a level much more profoundly satisfying than suburban life. Waking up each morning to the sounds of nature instead of honking horns, slamming doors and shrill sirens. Being able to walk outside in the morning and feel the crisp cool fresh country air while you sip your hot morning beverage while listening to the sounds of the birds singing, the cool morning breeze blowing, the deer in the field lifting it’s head to look at you while you sit in your rocking chair, the flock of geese browsing the edge of the lake, is the epitome of contentment and connection with the natural world.
Everything You Need To Know About Living Off The Land - Off Grid World
Tuesday 5th of March 2019
[…] The Earth is bountiful enough that those who possess the right amount of fortitude, problem-solving skills, and survival know-how can turn a small plot of land into an ever-giving resource. The idea of going off grid is appealing to many—it means living every single day in the fresh air and honing a more sustainable way of life. […]